Translate

I'm afraid

I'm afraid to keep talking about this good weather we are having. I'm afraid I'll jinx it and everyone will blame me. Last summer is still fresh in every ones memory. I doubt if we had more than 3 days last year with temps over 60.

I woke up early this morning and decided not to waste it. I decided it was the perfect time to go to some of my favorite places around Anchorage and see what was happening. Well, I wasn't the only thing awake.

At Potter Marsh there was all kinds of activity going on. This Tree Swallow looked at me like I had my nerve, but didn't mind getting its picture taken.

This American Wigeon was swimming in big circles, but this was the best shot I got. It's mate was nearby, but wouldn't look my way. I'm not sure if they were up to something and didn't appreciate me interrupting or what.

This beaver was in a hurry, but it wasn't headed to its dam. It was going through these little side streams, but it broke out into open water after a bit. I have yet to be able to get a shot of a beaver that I like.

Isn't that beaver dam something. There's an eagle off to the left watching me and everything around, but I didn't like the picture I took.

It's hard to believe that they discussed about making this area the city dump back in the 70's. It was accidentally made when they were building the Alaska Railroad. They blocked the water run off from the hillside area. The water stopped here and over time became an artificial wetland. Now it's one of the best places in Alaska to see wildlife.

Cindy had told me that she had bought a riding mower for the TLC property. She also said that her and Todd had cut the grass yesterday. So I had to go check it out. The TLC property overlooks Potter Marsh, so it wasn't that far out of the way. According to this Dark Eyed Junco they did a pretty good job

It was time to move on, so I headed down to Ship Creek. There's a whole lot of fishing going on, so parking was a little bit of a pain. But it was worth it. Check out these two Lesser Scaup's. They are supposed to be rare in this part of the state. I'm not good at keeping a list, but these two are on it now.

Thanks to all of the Veterans out there. Because of you I got to enjoy a gorgeous morning.






Comments

Britt said…
Looks like it was a beautiful morning! :) Nice photos!
robin andrea said…
Sure is pretty there, dave.
Gouldiae said…
G'day Dave,
That was a nice read about your beautiful morning. Nice pics and fun to read the names of some of your birds - our Wigeon/Pink Eared Duck doesn't look like yours at all, and your Scaup(?) looks a bit like our Shoveller. We don't have anything that looks like a Beaver!
Very enjoyable, thanks Dave.
Gouldiae
Dave Dorsey said…
Britt - it was!

Robin - That's why I stay here.

G - they do look like a shoveler, but the beak is more narrow. Maybe your koala would look like a beaver if it took to water. :)