Translate

Fall is all most over

It's that time of year where the awesome summer is over and winter is on the big push to make an entrance. The temperatures during the day are in the mid 50's and at night hovering around freezing. The motorhome is being winterized and I'm trying to get the last of the yard chores completed. The sun is coming up after 8AM now and going down about 7:30PM. The days are definitely shorter and cooler now.
 I'm not ready for winter, but go ahead and bring it on. But only make it a real winter and not the ones we've had the past couple of years. I'm ready for some real winter photography to include some mushing photography.
But the pups and I will also be ready for next spring when we thaw out the motorhome and hit Alaska's highways. A little test for you. How many US Routes are in Alaska? How many Interstate Highways? How many Alaska Routes?

There at no US Routes in Alaska, although at one point, the Alaskan portion of the Alaska Highway was proposed to be designated part of U.S. Highway 97, but this was never carried out. There are no connecting states to Alaska, so there can be no Interstate Highways. There are 12 Alaska Routes, 1 though 11 and 98. The Klondike Highway, built in 1978, was unnumbered until 1998, when it was given its designation during the centennial of the Klondike Gold Rush. However, many Alaskan highways of greater length than the Klondike Highway remain unnumbered. Most Alaskans don't know them by number anyhow, they know them by name.


In case you're curious for more, check out List of Alaska Routes.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful autumn photos! I'm so surprised how long your days still are there. I would have guessed the sun would be down much earlier. It's starting to look like fall here, and we had our first rain. Looking forward to your winter photos and hoping it's a grand snowy time there!
carol l mckenna said…
Love the boots shot ~ very creative and very autumnal ~ In New England we are just beginning autumn ~ it was a rainy and cold start ~

Great post ~ stay warm ~

Wishing you a happy week ~ ^_^
NCSue said…
Autumn is definitely my favorite time of year, and you have some great shots here.
Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/10/playing-with-photoshop.html
Kay L. Davies said…
Carol already said what I was thinking, but I'll say it again...love the boots shot. Made me think of my childhood, and my father in particular. He loved hiking and fishing, and "big boots" and hip waders...just this week my sister-in-law sent me a photo of Dad, circa 1967 or thereabouts, so I was already thinking of him. Good memories.
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
Dave Dorsey said…
Robin - The days are getting shorter every day. Bring on winter!

Carol - Thanks! I've gotten a lot of compliments on that. XtraTuff was the boot of choice in Alaska until they moved production to China and they aren't as good as the US made ones.

NC - Thanks

Kay - Thanks! I like good memories.
As always, beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing so many pieces of your very creative art.

Tried follow but it wouldn't take, so I'll keep track of you through WW. Happy WW, Dave!
Beth F said…
I hope for a real winter too.