Translate

New Years Resolution???

Posted by Picasa
I don’t make a lot of New Year’s resolutions. The last biggie I accomplished was to quit smoking. I made that resolution many times before it actually came true in 2000. I made several resolutions in 2010 and there’s one that as of yet hasn’t come true, but I’m always hoping. It’s a personal one that I won’t talk about here, but there is one reader that knows what I’m talking about. If it doesn’t come true by the end of 2010, I’ll recycle it for 2011.

I do have goals for 2011. One is to increase my personal savings. That was tough last year, but the economy seems to be taking a turn for the better. Let’s keep our fingers crossed on that one. I retired from the Air Force in 1994, but that’s not enough for me to be 100% retired, so I work 4 days a week doing sales. I would like to cut that back to 3 days a week in a couple years. Work is getting in the way of hobbies and traveling, but I do have to finance them somehow.

I’ll have to budget to get some more traveling in. My mom is getting up in years, so I need to make it back east to visit her more often. I also want to get more in state traveling done. This is one large beautiful state, and it takes a bit to get around seeing as much as you can. A lot of places in Alaska you can only get to by plane or boat, so it can get expensive. I don’t have the financial or media backing that our more popular resident has.

I would like to add 2 more lenses to my camera bag. So budgeting in other areas should help with that. You often justify some unneeded purchases when you’re single. My usual excuse is, I worked for it, so I deserve it. The real question should be, do I really need it and will it slow down the purchase of what I really want. Photography is a fun hobby, but it can get expensive. I only buy the best when it comes to anything and camera gear is no different. I doubt I’ll ever be at the level of where it pays my expenses, so in the mean time, budget.

I think my system to make these goals come true will be to have self control. Stay focus and make what you want happen. Look for that light at the end of the tunnel and see what’s at the end, then go for it.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year. Be ready though, because it’s going to be awesome!

Comments

Meggie said…
Happy New Year, Dave! Yes, let's hope 2011 is awesome.
Dave Dorsey said…
You know it Meggie! Happy New Year!