Translate

Stop Suicide Now!


I’ve had 2 friends during my life take their own life. With the recent suicide of the Horizon employee, it irks me that people on multimedia are glorifying or joking about it. Calling him Sky King or glorifying that he did barrel rolls and went out in a blaze of glory is so wrong. It only encourages others to either do the same or try to top his final act.
My first friend had a long issue of talking of suicide. Most of the time he was fueled by alcohol and the fact that he never really left Viet Nam. The day finally came when he was serious and no one took him as so. He committed his horrifying act in front of his wife and kids. His life, his struggle with his inner demons was over but they had to live on with that forever in their minds.
The second friend was having marriage issues. He never thought that he’d come home one day and his wife and kids would be gone. He thought they were working on it and that it was on the mend. The letter she left him basically said she had enough and was headed back to Alabama with the kids. She must have been planning it for a while, because it had to take some time to get things arranged. Anyways, a friend came over to do some computer work with him and found him at the dinner table where he shot himself while he was reading the letter from her.
These acts of suicide are very senseless and the effects don’t stop at the time of death. I’ve had a wonderful life, but it hasn’t always been wonderful. With a couple of failed marriages and relationships, career struggles, financial issues and on and on, I’ve never once thought of taking what is wrongfully called the easy way out. My theory was if I committed suicide, the other guys won. Life goes on no matter what it throws at you.
Suicide is real and it is a national problem. 22 Veterans commit suicide every day. TWENTY-TWO! That is unacceptable! These people gave part of their life to have us live in a free society. The military needs to step up more on prevention, VA and most of all you and I. If you’re a true friend, you are there for the ups and downs. You also need to ask if everything is all right. If not, a friend helps them to get help. A friend is there to talk
During one of my divorces, I went in for counseling. He wasn’t a psychologist, just a person to vent to. Tell your feelings to and letting you get all that stuff off of your chest. He didn’t suggest things to do, he let you figure that out yourself. It did me a lot of good. Though going through a divorce sucks, he helped make it easier. Once I moved off base and the divorce was final, I just stopped going to see him. I wish I had one more time just to say thanks!
Before another divorce, my wife and I went to marriage counseling. This counselor was terrible. After 60 days she asked if we wanted to continue. My wife was excited to but I said I wasn’t coming back. I felt it was a Dave bashing session and all I was getting from it was worse feelings about me. Funny thing though, I never got a bill from her. Fortunately I had some close friends that I talked it over with and they helped me through it all. That’s what I really needed, friend support. My marriage was over and they helped me through the tough spots. For that I’ll always be grateful for. They know who they are.
Step up! Be a real friend. Be there and listen. You don’t have to have all the answers. You don’t have to know it all. You don’t even have to have been through similar experiences. Just be there when your friend needs you.
 
or text 4help to 839863
3-11 p.m. Tues.-Sat.;
standard rates​
 
https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzenbBRB3EiwAItS-u-yexRt-06T5jkUc1cz6qm9iAWHM72JCLIK2Y9c1Enxxey2iraoSrxoCNPYQAvD_BwE
 

Comments

Jim said…
That's sad. Thanks for highlighting the issue.
Sydney – City and Suburbs
Dave Dorsey said…
Jim - it's very sad. The issue needs to be resolved. Enough is enough! Thanks for posting.
Diane said…
Enjoyed your blog. This is why I love our phone chats. You make me laugh at my crazy life and things seem brighter afterwards. I love you, little brother! I am so proud of the man that you are!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for writing this down, Dave. My sister's partner, a veteran, committed suicide in 2014. He had been suffering for quite some time with alcoholism and bipolar disorder. My sister did all that she could to be a good supportive partner, but his inner pain was just so great. Sadly, he tried several times before he succeeded. She is still seeing a therapist to work through the deep emotional trauma this caused her. We all need to reach out and be there and to recognize the spiraling behaviors of pain.
Dave Dorsey said…
Diane - Thanks fav sister! I love our phone calls too!

Robin - my heart goes out to your sister.
Jo said…
Hello Dave, you don't know how bad suicide is until you experience it first (or second?) hand. I came across my husband of 46 years mere minutes after he'd taken his own life with my firearm. He never spoke about suicide although in retrospect I realize all the signs were there. This happened nine months ago and although I have a blog where I posted about him passing, I never publicized it. A select few blogger friends know the truth and have been incredibly supportive. My husband committed suicide because after years of affluent living and then losing it all, he was insolvent. I thought we were rebuilding our lives again from scratch but he obviously didn't think the same. He left me insolvent so I've not stopped since that fateful evening when I found hi; I've had to forge ahead and support myself and get on with life. I have a strong support circle in my friends and the people I work with. Keep up the great work of speaking about g this terrible act. Greetings Jo
Dave Dorsey said…
Jo - I’m so sorry this happened to you. You’re right and it hasn’t happened first hand to me. I’m glad you have a good support group, friends and coworkers. My heart goes out to you and wishing nothing but the best.
Thank you for bringing up this ubiquitous taboo subject.
I hope that this post can someday stop one person from this senseless act.

Thank you for sharing.

- Lisa
Shiju Sugunan said…
Thanks for addressing this difficult topic. Recently, a cousin hanged himself after an argument over a very trivial issue with his brother. He was miraculously saved after neighbors broke opened the door after about 10 minutes of suspension. A person with suicidal tendency is really tough to handle.
Wendy Kaye said…
Thank you for discussing this; it's a topic that hits close to home...too close.
I volunteered for many years at a suicide hotline. We volunteers were just regular people and all we did was listen, but many people said it helped them.
Mascha said…
I can understand you, it's always a sad thing. And the survivors wonder why...
For me it was never an option, although life is not always a joy. But I love my life, with all it's possibilities!
By the way: I'm an autistic woman, haven't friends, cannot make contacts in real. And so I can understand the people a little, who do it and who don't see another way.
I can imagine, that for soldiers, coming out of a war, it is especially hard to come back to normally life.
Greetings from Germany
betty-NZ said…
Sadly, this seems to be happening everywhere. Just today, here in New Zealand, there was an article about the high suicide rate of the indigenous people. Thanks for the post.
Dave Dorsey said…
Lisa - thank you and I agree. If we all could stop just one.....

Shiju - wow, glad he was able to be stopped and saved.

Wendy - it seems to be close to everyone's home

Deb - thanks for your volunteering. I'm glad it helped.

Mascha - greetings! You have a friend in Alaska. :)

Betty - it does seem to be everywhere.
Wow and lovely landscape capture . Please tell something about my captures on my blog.