Translate

Hello friend?

It amazes me that the people that call you friend, but in time you wonder how much of a friend they are. I was raised to be kind and thoughtful to everyone, especially your friends. Then in the military, I learned that you should go through thick and thin for your friends and that was to go both ways. You don't lean on your friends or abuse the relationship by overburdening them. You take care of yourself first, but if your in real deep, your real friends are there.

We all have those friends that you only hear from when they need something. After a while you see the number on caller ID and you let it go to voice mail and then you return the call when you feel like it. That's the friend that you've gone the extra mile for, done things to help out that no one else would, but you don't hear from them until the next issue which might be for some time. They don't call to see how you've been, how's your health or anything like that. They call because you're needed for something they know they can depend on you for.
 
That's not friendship.
You can have friends that you don't stay in close contact with and stay friends. You've been through think and thin with this friend and you look back on a memory with a smile on your face. You call, email or text them to just say hi. You tripped across a memory that brought a smile to your face and you needed to share that memory with them.
If you're reading this and are wondering if I'm talking about you, maybe you should reconsider how our relationship is working. Am I talking about you? Are you that friend? Are you really a friend? Did I make you think of a situation with someone else? Are they a convenient friend?

Friendships are easy to maintain. All you have to do is be a true friend.

 

Comments

Diane said…
You are my little brother, but I would like to think we are good friends too! Love you and your doggies!
Anonymous said…
I think of us as good virtual friends, Dave, and have been for years. We check in on each other's blogs just to see if there's a new post and how things are going. It's always good to hear from you and always good to see a post here.
Britt said…
We've been friends for years and I appreciate your friendship! I have lot's of great memories about our Bird TLC adventures. Remember when we went to Girdwood to save that GHO tangled up in fish line? Remember all the rounding up of the eagles at the flight pens and prepping them for release? All those eagle release too! Now that I live far away, I have fun following your FB beagle posts. Wish I had got to see you while we were in AK. My surprise visit was a fail, since you weren't working that day.
Dave Dorsey said…
Diane - of course we're friends. I talk to you more on the phone than anyone.

Robin - I think of us a virtual friends also for a long time. I love reading of your and Roger's walks and adventures.

Britt - We've been good friends for some time now and I have always appreciated your friendship as well. I remember that rescue along Bird Creek. It's a wonder we didn't end up bathing in the glacier silt. I wonder how many releases we did together. I know it was quite a few. We had many memorable adventures together for sure. I was bummed about missing you when you came up but do appreciate the attempt. We'll see each other again sometime I'm sure.

betty-NZ said…
There truly are many different types of people in the world. You just have to see what their actions tell you. Great post.


My Corner of the World
Dave Dorsey said…
Betty - Thanks! I checked out you blog. I'll be back.

Tiong - Thanks!
That is one impressive scene. I just read that temperatures in Alaska are now forty to fifty degrees (F) than normal. Scary stuff.
Kim S. said…
Interesting that WiseWebWoman's (WWW) blog reently wrote about friendships also. Lately, I've often thought about friendships changing - some due to distance, some due to different stages of life, some just were a friendship for a season, I guess. Can't help but wonder if this comes up more once we reach our late 50s and 60s and .... more time behind us than ahead so we don't want to waste time. And there are definitely more talkers than listeners out there. The art of conversation seems to be fading. Thanks for the post. Always nice to read what you have to report. Kim in PA