Translate

2009 Fur Rondy

I've lived her for 25 years now and I've enjoyed Fur Rondy every time. This year I learned a little bit from the photographers point of view. My friend Britt Coon let me tag along when she shot pic's this year. She's been going out for the last few years shooting just about any sled dog race she came across.

She had a challenge today. We were having some steady snow fall and I was tagging along. The race was pretty exciting. The fresh snow made the track sticky, so times were just a bit slower. Where we were at along the Campbell Creek Airstrip, we had a good view of a small portion of the 25 mile, 3 day race. It's really cool watching a pass.

Bill Kornmuller had the lead time from Friday, so the start was reversed and he started last. By the end of the day he was able to still hold onto the lead. Take a look at those dogs and tell me they don't love to race.

I had many things to catch up on at home, so I didn't make it today and they haven't announced on TV who the overall winner is.

If you would like to see more, go to the Fur Rondy website. It's a 9 day long celebration that has been going on since the early 1950's. While your at it, check out Britt's site. You can see that she loves what she does.

Thanks Britt! I had a great time.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

Meggie said…
Now that's not something that happens in any other part of the country. Looks like a fun celebration and race. Thanks for the pics.
Gouldiae said…
G'day Dave,
You're dead right, those dogs are luvin' it. Nice story, much appreciated by an Aussie dog lover.
Regards,
Gouldiae