Translate

A Sunday drive along Turnagain Arm

There had to be photographs out there to be taken somewhere. The lighting early in the morning was awesome. To quickly get Macy and me ready and out the door was a little bit of a chore, but we did it. I figure we head to Potter Marsh and hopefully find some swans, but no. There were plenty of gulls, but that's not what we were after. There was a grebe, but there was already plenty of photographers around it. So we kept heading south.
Now I know some people are saying what's the big deal about northwest crows. Well, we don't have them in Anchorage, we have their larger cousin the common raven. They don't come any closer than Girdwood. These were off the edge of the road outside of Portage.
OK, a duck. Well this female mallard kept coming near the bank where Macy and I was sitting and checking us out, so I figure she make the post.
 If you've been reading my blog long, you know I love reflection shots. This area is full of dead trees killed by salt water from the tide rising during the 1964 Earthquake.
 And then there was a trumpeter swan. Far enough away for Macy and I not to bother it, but close enough for my EF 100-400 to capture.
 The wind was blowing just enough to keep the bugs away. We sat for so long waiting for whatever to happen, the gulls started ignoring us.
 Then another swan came out an joined the other. It was hidden in a little cove like area at first.
 We were there long enough then Macy though we should go ponder some thoughts while looking out over Turnagain Arm.
And then it was time to burn off some energy.
 
Weather was good and traffic wasn't bad. All in all, a good Sunday drive along Turnagain Arm.

Comments

Anonymous said…
These are great photos! Love seeing all the bird life there. And, I especially love seeing Macy run!
Jocelyn said…
Great pictures! Love seeing all that energy being burned up!

Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com