Translate

Keeping the funk behind you

The weather has been terrible here. The temperatures have been tolerable, like in the low +20°f. But the wind has been crazy. For six days we had wind gust day and night with some getting up to over 65 mph. Very little damage was done at my place, but around the borough (county for you in the lower 48) there are trees down, roof damage and power outages.

So, since it hasn't been photography weather, I've been digging through some of my photos from last year. Some have been posted before and some haven't.
 This old grader was outside the DOT barn in TOK. It's a tow behind, so I can only imagine all the extra work compared to graders of now a days. Some graders now use satellites to help determine how level the blade is and tell them where they are at. 
 Being a veteran, I loved seeing this sign. No, I've never been awarded the Purple Heart. But I do admire those that have. This is Alaska Highway 2 and it leads to the Canadian border in the Yukon Territory.
 Here's an old state truck in Tok. I can only imagine some of the stories it could tell.
 This is in Yakutat and the road dead ends just on the other side. There are some NPS cabins and an airstrip there.
 This is not far from the house in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley , aka Mat-Su Valley. The Mat-Su Valley covers about 23,000 square miles. This bridge is crossing the Matanuska River  as you head towards Anchorage. Fog isn't unusual here, that's why you see the lights are lower to the highway. Up river there's Matanuska Glacier, down river it meets the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet. It's between a large area called the Palmer Hay Flats and some smaller mountains of the Chugach Mountains.
 The old Knik River Bridge is closed to vehicle traffic but is an awesome place to explore. 
Alaskans love their flowers during the summer. With long hours of daylight, we grow some awesome plants of all types.

OK, well the winds have died down and it's predicted to be sunny. I'll try to get out and get some photography done.


Comments

Lydia C. Lee said…
Love the dead end road and the fog shot is quite special. Amazing how the weather can really make a photo!
Anonymous said…
Love seeing these photos, Dave. Really like that Purple Heart trail sign, makes me think of my dad and his purple heart.
NCSue said…
Great photos, Dave, but clearly you and I have different understandings about what constitutes "tolerable" temperatures. I'm READY FOR SPRING!!!
Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/02/some-african-ceremonial-masks.html
Jeanna said…
We haven't had the wind but it's been some yo-yo type weather someone always forgets how to drive when it goes from 50 to 15. It's been snowing for three days and looking more like winter than it has the whole season. I can take it in the 20s, but when it hovers and dips below zero count me out sipping tea and watching out the window.
Some really nice photos, I think I love the old red truck and bridges best.
Dave Dorsey said…
Guy - Thanks for stopping buy. I'm surprised!

Lydia - The weather make most of my photos. But I also like vehicles, wildlife and odd things.

Robin - Glad I made you think a good thought.

NC Sue - Well if I lived in NC, I'd be thinking like you.

Jeanna - We got the forgetful drivers also.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!
Amanda McCusker said…
Great pictures! I love the car with the flowers in the hood. That bridge is really cool looking, like a story is waiting to be reveled about it. You inspire me to look around and appreciate the little things. Thanks! Have a great week!
Mascha said…
Great collection, thanks for sharing. My absolute favorite is the old Knik river bridge.
We had bad storms too and a lot of trees are down here around.
Greetings from Germany