Translate

Touring Alaska, what a week

My sister and her husband came up from Maryland to visit and I decided to be the ultimate tour guide. While at it, we might as well check out places I haven't been to either. Our first trip is into Denali National Park, the biggest mountains, the most wildlife and awesome scenery.
 On June 11th ( my 29th birthday. I'm not going to tell you how many 29th birthdays I've had) it snowed. Snowed in June! Did you read that? It snowed in June!
We saw brown bear so close that only the bus walls separated us. It could care less about us tourist gawking out the window and pointing all kinds of cameras at it. It was eating the green before it got covered by the snow.
The views were awesome and went on and on and on. There wasn't a time when I wasn't in awe of everything we got to see.
 These smart ravens were nesting under a bridge where they didn't have to worry about predators. They say corvids are the smartest.
 As the day went by, the snow stopped, the rain stopped and the mountain, Denali was revealing more and more.
 I always knew I would make it to the end of the road, but didn't know when or where. We traveled 185 on a old school bus with an awesome driver / guide, we saw bear, caribou, sheep, golden eagles, bald eagles, ravens and much more. It was a trip well worth it.
 Next stop was 45 minutes south of Anchorage at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. You're right, I've written about it before. So my sis' wanted to go. The wind was blowing and the animals were very active. She thinks the mush ox are ugly, but not me. They are built to survive arctic conditions.
They got in a couple orphaned moose. They were taking a nap and looked very comfortable.

 This little guy was singing his heart out and you could hear it above a lot of the noise. It didn't care that there was brown bear, tour buses and tourist below.
 The bears at AWCC are always a treat.
 Baby caribou. It's that time of year.
 Reindeer amaze me. How do they hold their head up?
 From there to Portage Glacier aboard the Ptarmigan. Icebergs, waterfalls and awesome scenery.
Lots of small side trips in between. They leave tomorrow night and will probably be happy to get back home so they can rest.
 
I'll have more photos posted when I get the time.

Comments

carol l mckenna said…
Wow! What a place and what wonderful photography for OWT ~ love the bear ~ Happy Trip to you and Happy Birthday ~ xoxo

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)
Beth F said…
Amazing indeed. What a visit with your sister.
Anonymous said…
You see the most amazingly splendid things. What a great journey.
Anonymous said…
You see the most amazingly splendid things. What a great journey.