Translate

Interesting times we live in

I find it humorous that I have ample time to post on this blog. But because of hunkering down, the type of subject I normally post about is limited. One of the nice things about being at home is that my house is the cleanest it's ever been. I've been going through my wardrobe and clearing out things I never wear. I've downsized from 3 sock drawers, to 2. I've cleaned out my personnel files. No need to keep those check stubs from 2010.

However I will be going through a new experience soon. Many of you know that I do education programs with a snowy owl named Ghost for the Bird Treatment and Learning Center (Bird TLC) in Anchorage. We've traveled over much of the state teaching people about what's in our backyard. I've enjoyed doing this for over 14 years. 
Because of the Covid-19, all of our presentations have been canceled. However I just scheduled to do one on April 13th. Not 6 feet apart, not wearing a mask and not in person. We are going to do it via Zoom. Video conferencing. This is new to me. I've used Skype, I've video conferenced with previous jobs, but not like this and I'm excited. On Facebook I've received lots of support, offers of help from friends and lots of ideas. I'm looking forward to it.
My son and daughter-in-law will be tutoring me on Zoom from near Houston, Texas. This old guy just needs some practice. It's also a good excuse for us to communicate with one another. The only concern I have is how slow my internet service is here. My ISP said they recently increased speed by 15%, but I think users increased by 90%.
 
 
 It is an interesting time we live in.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, we are definitely living in interesting times. Coming up with projects to do while we are sheltering in place. I'm definitely running out of things to do. I've been reading about ZOOM and how it really is helping lots of people connect right now. I hope it all goes well for you, Dave. Take care there.
betty-NZ said…
It's interesting what we get done when 'I don't have time' is not a viable excuse! I have seen lots of people using Zoom for a lot of things, but haven't used it myself. Good luck, I know things will be fine!
Say 'Hi' to Ghost for me.



I'm delighted to read your post at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up!
Veronica Lee said…
Both my sons are using Zoom right now as I type this. One is required to work from home and the other who is in university is attending online classes. Interesting times!

Happy Easter!
Sylvia said…
Dave, Good for you! I hope it goes well. I'm pretty much out of luck with no webcam or microphone on my ancient computer. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.
Dave Dorsey said…
Robin - The Zoom presentation went well. we had lots of fun.

Betty - Ghost says Hi! The Zoom presentation went well.

Veronica - It went easier than I expected. It's a lot of fun.

Those who host Linky, I have very poor internet right now. It's so slow that it's not allowing me to post a link to my post. So don't think that I'm being a snob, just slow internet.
carol l mckenna said…
Lovely wintry photo ~ your latest photo is not showing ~ has a circle with a - sign through ~ others have said they are having problems too ~

Thanks for your visit and comment ~

Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Dave Dorsey said…
Carol - The photo's not showing is a known blogger problem that they are taking forever to correct. Thanks for visiting.