Translate

I've had enough. I like Ted Stevens!

Everyone knows someone who is a good person, but there have been a few bad things that has happened in their life. All you here about is the bad things, not the good things. Specially if that person is in politics. Well that's happening to Ted Stevens right now.

Ted Stevens (Uncle Ted) has committed his life to public service and has represented Alaska in the U.S. Senate with distinction since 1968. There's not one person in Alaska who's life is not positively effected by Uncle Ted. Not one! He has poured more money into Alaska than any one person could even imagine and that money effects every citizen of this great state. He has brought home so much federal funding, in fact, that the cash has been given a special name: Stevens money.

I won't get into too much detail, but Uncle Ted helped bail my butt out in the early 1980's. I was recently divorced and owed the IRS $1200. I didn't have a dime in the bank and was struggling to stay afloat. I was a junior NCO and didn't make a lot of money. I worked a part time job to try to stay above water. The IRS decided to garnish my Alaskan PFD check without my approval. Back then they didn't have that luxury. As typical, anyone you talked to at the IRS was unable to help you. I needed that money for Christmas presents for my kids.

I had recently seen Ted Stevens at Elmendorf AFB, so I decided to give his office a call. His staff took my issue with interest and said they would be back in touch with me in about 2 weeks. I got a call from his staff manager 2 weeks later. The IRS wasn't getting my PFD, I was. My kids were now going to have Christmas presents from Santa. From that point on for me, Ted Stevens was Uncle Ted. He had the people in place to take care of the little people like I had heard so much about.


I could go on and on with other stories like this from other Alaskans. Ted was honored as Alaskan for the Century in 1999. We named the Anchorage International Airport after him. Stevens is far from a go-along-to-get-along senator: He is a hardball politician with a long memory about those who cross him. When faced with a tough fight on the Senate floor, he wears an "Incredible Hulk" necktie. He is both feared and loved in an institution that has been likened to a men's club.

Uncle Ted is accused of not claiming $250,000 in gifts for remodeling his home in Girdwood. For what he has done for our state and it's people, there are many who are belittling him for this mistake that has not been proven. $250K. $250K. I say the people of Alaska should write a check for $250K and tell the rest of the world to stick it where the Midnight Sun doesn't shine!

Wait, make that check for $251K and use the extra grand to send Vic Vickers back to Florida. The guy hasn't even been in the state a year and he feels he can replace Uncle Ted.

Comments

Gouldiae said…
G'day Dave,
Nice rant. Uncle Ted sounds like some guy! I think we've all got one like him by the way.
Gouldiae.
Meggie said…
I hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest, Dave! That's what friends are for.
robin andrea said…
I'm glad you wrote this, dave. It's always important to know what a constituent thinks of his representative. You did a great job letting us know.