Translate

Veterans Day is special to me

First off I'm not a political person. I have many friends on both sides of the track, but I don't get involved. I vote, that's how I get my opinion across. I don't like it when people get political with what the military does. I do believe that the final person the military answers to should be a civilian, the Commander in Chief.
 
I'm a life member of AMVETS. I belong on several veteran groups on Facebook. I've been reconnected with long lost buddies, which is really cool. A few veterans have been questioning themselves. They're being told "Thank you for your service" but they feel that they didn't contribute much for people to be thankful to them for.
Chanute AFB, IL 1974
 
Some didn't serve during a time when we were at war, some don't consider the Cold War a conflict, some had way behind the scenes jobs. Some worked in offices, medical fields, supply, etc. I ask them what would our military be like without people in those jobs. We have the best military in the world, the best it's ever been. Why? Because of the people in every job doing their job to make the big picture. I salute them no matter what they do as long as they do the best they can.
Taken in OKC 1980ish while I was stationed at Tinker AFB, OK
 
I've served with a lot of people, but only one race. AF blue. When you need someone to watch your back, you don't care what race, religion, political affiliation or anything. You just want to know he or she will be there and you can depend on them. In turn, they know they can depend on you. We owe it to those people out there 24/7 365 for us being what we are, the greatest country on earth.
1994 Elmendorf AFB, AK launching E3A AWAC's
 
 I retired January 1, 1995, almost 23 years ago. WoW! My job was over, there were others there to carry on the torch. Some of the planes I worked on in the past have been chopped up and made into beer cans. Some have been modified over and over and are still out there watching our six.
 Wrangell St Elias National Park, Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge 2016, Veterans Salute and flag lowering ceremony
 
I enjoy the volunteer work I do now. Hal the Bald Eagle of Bird TLC's Education Program and I have done retirement ceremonies, Military Appreciation Day, you name it. When a request comes in for a veterans or active duty military ceremony, I don't hesitate to reply. It's my little way of saying thank you for your service.
 
No matter what their job was or is in the military, if it's peacetime or we're at war, they have my 100% respect. They earned the title Veteran. Without them we wouldn't be here.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Serving in the military is a deeply honorable thing to do. My father fought behind enemy lines in the Battle of the Bulge and was awarded the Purple Heart for his injuries. He was a medic on the fields of war. I thank you for your service, Dave, on this day and all days.
Dave Dorsey said…
Thank you Robin and you're welcome. I love hearing your stories of your dad.
Mascha said…
We don't celebrate a Veterans Day here in Germany. Seems much is very difficult in our history... By the way: I grew up in the German Part of East Bloc, former GDR. Cold war is a well knowed term for us. Finally we are one State today, but it doesn't solve all problems in 25 years....
Sorry, I'm very late (have healthy problems and a sick old mother).
Thanks for joining, have a nice sunday